Quick Start Guide
This quick start section briefly explains how to set up Rimscout.
Rimscout generally consists of two components that need to be configured/installed: The portal and clients.
Login to the portal
- Go to https://portal.rimscout.com
- Login with your Microsoft username and password.
- On first login grant consent for the Rimscout Portal.
You will see the landing page.
If you want to grant others access to your tenant as well read Manage access.
Configure the portal
In order to allow clients to send their data to the Rimscout portal you have to create client tokens.
If your user devices are domain joined you can use the domain SID as a token.
- Navigate to Configuration > Client tokens
- Click on the Create button.
- Select the token type Domain SID
- Input your domain SID (Retrieve a domain SID)
- Add a description and specify the maximal number of clients that can use this token. Save the token.
- Clients on domain joined devices will now automatically register themselves on start.
If your clients aren't domain joined and you want to manually add them, you can also use an auto-generated token.
- Again click on the Create button
- Make sure the token type Auto-generated is selected
- To create an auto-generated token just add a description and specify how many clients may use this token. Save the new token.
- Use this token to register newly installed clients either by deploying the token to the registry or registering the client manually.
It is useful but not necessary to configure locations for the clients. The Locations section describes how to do so.
- Windows 7 or higher
- 64-bit system architecture
- Clients need to be able to access the following domains using HTTPS (for updates and data synchronization)
Uploading connectivity data to the Rimscout backend:
There may not be any SSL inspection (e.g. by a firewall) for packets going to
Registration and uploading system profile data:
Download and install the client
- Go to https://www.rimscout.com/download/
- Click on
Downloadand save the
- Go to your download location and unzip the file.
- Double-click the
RimScout.exefile in the unzipped
The client installs itself and after a short time the client status screen will pop up. For details about the client installation see Client local folders.
Handle the firewall notification
A firewall notification for Rimscout might show up. Simply click on
Register a client
If a client is not automatically registered, a notification will be shown. To manually register the client
- Click at the
Registerlink in the notification.
- In the Register dialog input an auto-generated token you created on the portal
Submitand wait until the client is successfully registered.
Verify the setup
If the portal and the client(s) are correctly set up you should see all your registered clients in the portal.
- Navigate to Clients
- Check if your client's device name appears in the list.
- If yes, click on Details and verify that the client is reporting data. The diagrams shouldn't show the message "No data present for selected period."
In case of any issues with the setup, contact
It might take up to 15 minutes until a newly installed client appears on the clients list. Usually it takes only a few minutes.
After completing the initial configuration steps outlined in the quick start guide, you can explore additional features and functionality of Rimscout in the following user guide articles:
Understand how to use the Rimscout data for monitoring and troubleshooting by learning about the health of your clients:
Explore the types of Rimscout tests and learn how to create your own custom tests:
Learn more about setting up alerts and include them in your existing monitoring setup:
Create locations to know where your clients report from: